The WVA created World Veterinary Day in 2000 as an annual celebration of the veterinary profession, falling on the last Saturday of April.
Theme of World Veterinary day
Each year the World Veterinary Association (WVA) and the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) choose a topic to promote and educate about the important role of veterinarians on the matter.
“Environmental protection for improving animal and human health” is the theme of 2020
The earth gives us everything we need to live. It is our home and the home of countless species. Our responsibility is to take care of our environment.
The 2020 theme celebrates the participation of veterinary professionals in supporting sustainability and protecting the environment. It is also an opportunity for veterinarians to exchange innovative ideas and learn other approaches to keep raising awareness on how harmful actions towards the environment can affect animals and humans.
World Veterinary Day Award
Any WVA member has the chance to apply for the World Veterinary Day Award 2020. The award provides recognition to a veterinary association that gives an exceptional contribution to the protection of the environment.
Below is a compilation of some activities that winners from previous years performed in order to spread knowledge about the theme of the year:
- Uganda Veterinary Association (2018 winner) appeared in press conferences and radio talks. They also produced documentaries and seminars
- The National Council of the Order of Veterinarians of France (2017 winner) started a project called Ecoantibio Plan to reduce the risk related to the use of antibiotics in veterinary medicine.
- College of Veterinarians of Costa Rica and the Costa Rican National Animal Health Service (2015 winner) executed a campaign on the prevention of West Nile fever and equine encephalitis. During the campaign, they formed the Costa Rican Society of Specialist in Zoonosis.
Every member that wishes to apply for the World Veterinary Day Award 2020 will need to provide evidence of activities encouraging environmental protection by the 25th of May 2020. More information here.
The winner will receive a prize of USD$2500 to fund new projects, give scholarships, reward team members, afford new equipment, and other investments they consider necessary. There will also be a ceremony to honor the winner, and it can take place in their country or the 2021 WVA Congress.
How to celebrate World Veterinary day?
If you are a veterinary professional, there are many ways you can celebrate World Veterinary Day, including:
- Sharing your thoughts on social media about the 2020 theme.
- Writing a blog or social media post about why you love working in the veterinary field or thanking your co-workers for their hard work.
- Make it special by purchasing a gift or a thank you card for your team.
- Have a meeting with your team members about environmental protection and try to organize an action plan to raise awareness about the topic.
- Create flyers and posters with ways that pet owners can support the preservation of the environment.
Dünya Veteriner Günü nasıl kutlanır?
Bir veteriner hekim iseniz, Dünya Veteriner Günü’nü kutlamanın birçok yolu vardır, bunlar arasında:
- 2020 temasıyla ilgili düşüncelerinizi sosyal medyada paylaşın.
- Veterinerlik alanında çalışmayı veya iş arkadaşlarınıza sıkı çalışmalarından dolayı teşekkür etmeyi sevdiğinize dair bir blog veya sosyal medya yazısı yazmak.
- Ekibiniz için bir hediye veya teşekkür kartı satın alarak bunu özel hale getirin.
- Çevre koruma konusunda ekip üyelerinizle bir toplantı yapın ve konuyla ilgili farkındalığı artırmak için bir eylem planı düzenlemeye çalışın.
- Evcil hayvan sahiplerinin çevrenin korunmasını destekleyebilecekleri yollarla el ilanları ve posterler oluşturun.
Happy WORLD VETERINARY DAY!